Strong leadership is essential to the success of any organization. Without it, even a company filled with the finest employees possessing degrees from Ivy League schools will find itself directionless. A good leader can unite an organization toward a common goal of success. According to Forbes.com, great leadership involves the ability to combine great people skills with your education and experience. Below are some of the personal qualities they feel great leaders possess.
- A sense of honesty is crucial for a good leader, as they serve as a model for which your other employees should strive to live up to. Honest leaders are a reflection of your company’s integrity.
- Good leaders should have the ability to assess the people they work with, identifying their weaknesses and strengths, as well as tasks they do and do not like. They know you get the best out of your employees when you assign them responsibilities that they are not only good at, but also enjoy doing.
- Excellent leaders communicate their needs clearly, effectively, and in multiple formats, all with the goal of being completely transparent to those they are leading. They touch base regularly with everyone they supervise and keep an open door policy to ensure everyone is always on the same page.
- Confidence and a sense of humor are critical for good leaders to possess. When things inevitably don’t go according to plan or an unexpected challenge arises, employees will inevitably look to their leaders to see their reactions. If employees see leaders taking things in stride with a positive attitude, they will follow their lead.
- A strong leader shows commitment to both the company and its mission. They understand that by putting in the same, if not more, hours as your staff and working side by side with them, you help to reinforce their morale and dedication to the company.